Saturday, August 8, 2026

Coup de torchon


I managed to scoop the new Blu-ray of Coup de torchon, Bertrand Tavernier's legendary adaptation of Jim Thompson's pulp masterpiece Pop. 1280, three days before the official street date. Sorry, I shan't be revealing the secrets of my macabre sorcery. Can I just also say that another of my favourite Jim Thompson novels from when I was a very young man was A Hell of a Woman, and it too was adapted into a wonderful French film, Alain Corneau's Série noire from 1979 (the year of my birth). I would love to star in or work on the screenplay for an adaptation of Thompson's The Nothing Man, which has also long been a personal favourite. It's about a newspaper man who lost his penis completely to a landmine during wartime and tries to hide that humiliating fact until he can't anymore...with dire results.





Heart, "Magic Man"





No comments: